Borovets, known until the middle of the last century as Chamkoria, is the oldest mountain resort in Bulgaria. Its origin dates back to 1896 when Kniaz Ferdinand – the Bulgarian monarch at the time, had his summer residence and several hunting lodges built here. His example was followed by many wealthy families from Sofia who subsequently built their summer cottages in Borovets. In 1942, the name of the resort was changed to Borovets – a literal translation of the Turkish word Chamkoria - “pine trees”.
In the 60s and 70s of the last century the resort became the largest winter sports center in the Balkans – new ski drags and lifts were erected, the ski slopes were widened, many of them were homologated and numerous alpine style hotels were built. The investments in the development of the skiing infrastructure were fast recognized by the international community. In 1974 Borovets hosted the “Borovets” Cup - the first race from the FIS Calendar in Bulgaria. Ten European and two World Cups followed soon.